Most of the inquiries I’m getting these days are about information on how one can enter Hungary in light of the spreading of COVID-19. It seems to me that the general information available online is mostly in Hungarian and it’s not exactly easy to understand for most of travellers.
So, here are the latest news and latest rules for you.
The government of Hungary has been applying a colour-based categorisation depending on how serious the spreading of the virus is in the country of origin since the 15th of July. The three colours are green, yellow and red and it determines the rules of entry to Hungary. In case of transfer passengers the country of origin is applicable.
Travellers arriving from GREEN countries are:
- allowed to enter Hungary without restrictions,
- if they have symptoms of the infection within 14 days after entry, then they can’t leave their actual residence, and must notify the epidemiological authority immediately.
Travellers arriving from YELLOW countries:
- have to undergo medical examination upon entry
- if there is a suspicion of infection, the travellers are not allowed to enter Hungary
- if no such suspicion arises, travellers are allowed to enter, but it is mandatory for them to go to home quarantine for 14 days.
- no quarantine is needed if travellers have 2 negative SARS COVID tests (in English or in Hungarian) that were taken consecutively within 48 hours of each other and up to 5 days prior to entering Hungary
Travellers arriving from RED countries are not allowed to enter Hungary in passenger traffic.
The good news is that the spreading of the virus in Hungary is still under control and we don’t see sudden increase in the number of infections. As of today there are 4,465 registered cases and 596 people died.
I’d say that it’s still relatively safe to visit Budapest and visit Hungary, if you do so, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me to book a private social distancing friendly tour, 100% safe, 100% fun. If you decide to stay at home, I’m still here to offer you a virtual experience.